Comment back on Rachel:
Rachel,
Thanks for the comment. I know you understood exactly where I was coming from by what you wrote in the comment (quoting me and connecting it to the way you feel). Glad you saw where I was coming from.
For the most part you just agreed with me on my pov of our use on digital representational devices, but it was helpful that you pointed out I should probably ask someone how I look – even though I already know how I look and you mentioned it too in your comment.
I think you need to critique me a lot better – you really didn’t tell me any areas to revise or possibly expand – which I’m sure there are plenty of places in my writing to do so. But when you said my post made you realize we don’t need technology to have fun – I think the point I was making was a bit of the opposite. I mean in general I know I can have fun without technology but my main point was how much fun I have with it. It’s almost like a necessity now-a-days. Like I really can’t live without most of these D.R.D’s. I wouldn’t say I’m addicted though – I just find much more enjoyment in my day when I hear music, or watching something I find interesting/funny, etc.
We both pretty much focused on how much we don’t want this for the future (future children .. little sisters, etc). Even though as you pointed out its being a total hypocrite. Amanda thinks technology has gone nowhere near its limits and believes by the time our children are born – technology would have greatly advanced – I do agree but I’m scared of the point she makes – our children will be much worse than we are. They’ll be walking zombies – that’s creepy.
So I’d say we’re both ‘interested’ in how it could be possible that we can find so much enjoyment in D.R.D’s but hardly show of the pleasurable emotions in our faces through our recordings.
Comment back on Amanda:
Amanda,
Thanks for commenting my blog. Also I strongly believe you really tried to think about what to say in your comment to me instead of just bullshitting one so much appreciated on that. I like your questions at the end of your comment and I like how smoothly you wrote the comment. I appreciate the time and effort you took out of your own life to complete this assignment.
I think it was helpful of you to build off of my thoughts and add on that by the time we have children – technology would have reached new heights and even so will become just as much most likely even more controlling than it already is. Kids’ll be walking around with earpieces glued to the side of their head. I can see the tumors culminating in deaths right now. =(
Towards the end you asked me if I composed myself while recording – well Amanda, I completely did. I mean, I did as I usually do but I did it knowing people will watch so I refused to allow myself to go into complete robot mode. It was creepy watching me stare so I chose not to ass some staring parts in. I agree with you – its completely embarrassing how far and deep I allow myself to zone out with D.R.D’s.
I think me and you were both focused on how we don’t allow ourselves to become completely embodied when we know we’re the center of attention. I agree with you, it’s sad that even during a time where you’re supposed to let people observe your true interaction with D.R.D’s, we still put on a show for them. I guess we’ll never really be able to get clear and concise insights from all our fake videos, huh?
You also focused more on the different things these devices allow you to do (in your case- escape from stress) whereas I went on about how stupid I looked being pulled in by these devices yet feeling a certain way when I’m personally interacting with them (with no one around).
I know we’re both interested if people may have subconsciously put on a show or if some people recorded and showed how they really were, true facial expressions and all. I think the assignment would have been more interesting if somehow someone else recorded us interacting with our D.R.D’s without us even knowing so that we could pull out the real emotions from our faces,etc.
Anyways, good writing. I’m sure we’ll be commenting again – so keep up the good work.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment