Sunday, September 13, 2009

EDITED Homework 3 - 1st Blog post (HW 5 is in comment section)

I have many digital rituals. My morning and evening train rides are filled with music. Without it I notice I’m not usually in a good mood. I can’t even remember the last time I didn’t listen to my ipod on the train. As I began this homework assignment, I thought about it and couldn’t understand why I pulled out my ipod every time I got on the train. I minimized the tab and went on to my iTunes. I played a lot of my most recent favorite songs, and started to pay more focus to what I was thinking about as I listened to these songs. Different songs make me feel certain ways. If I can relate to it and truly feel I can understand the song – I know I love it (especially if it has a catchy chorus). When I plug in my headphones I’m usually daydreaming about my fantasies. I use my music to escape my surroundings. I convince myself I’m happy by reminiscing old memories and adding all my what-if’s between the lines. Playing it all out and making my own endings. This to me is much better than thinking about my real life. Sometimes I even get so caught up in the music and what it allows me to do, I mix up my realities with my fantasies. Why is my ipod so overpowering? It allows me to bring forth my desires and exciting hopes permitting me to better understand myself and my mind. (Edited) - I also agree with Jacara. Sometimes I even like to analyze lyrics from songs and find new meanings -deeper ones, or even play out a whole situation in my mind that the song could go perfectly with. I don't know why I do this but I’m very accustomed to doing so for a lot of songs - even if it’s pretend situations that I make myself in. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that I daydream and go into my little fantasy world. If anything it kind of makes me starter - when I make up the situations in my head for the song, I think of perfect ways to react to them and handle them – exactly what I’d say or do to leave a big impression. The situations I think of are probably a bit more problamatic and don't have anything to do with thinking about being popular/being a great dance, etc. Does it make teens dumb? I guess it’s the way you use your fantasies. A ‘not so good’ way (to me) would be if you’re just thinking about being 'the coolest kid' and having everyone like you or doing this cool dance in a club to the song than while listening to it. But I think a better way to think if you’re zoning out to music would be if you use it in a variety of ways to keep you thinking.

Texting/I-ming someone is so much more convenient for me than facing them in person. It helps me to better explain myself without going through the embarrassment of the other persons facial expression/reaction. Online or texting, I’m able to avoid my feelings of insecurity. It also helps breaking the ice. It lets me get to know another person even in a deep conversation without the nervousness of trying to get their attention in person. I think I’d be a lot less social without digital technology. Even if I’m busy, I can text people in between whatever I’m doing – keeping my friendships/getting closer to people, always letting them know I’m here for them. I also have to admit, talking online or through text makes things a lot less personal. It’s an everyday thing so it’s not like anyone could feel surprised. You can make small talk and ease things up between the both of you. (Edited) - I actually have mixed feelings about the way digitalization affects us. Yes, it helps me to be more social, but it downgrades my social skills. I have to deal with people face to face one day so hiding from people and both of our emotions isn’t going to help. Later on, when it’ll matter the most, I won’t be able to handle a situation because I won’t be used to it. I have no real social practice with the way technology allows me to abuse it.

I love my television also. Similarly to daydreaming with music, the t.v makes up some fantasies for me. I’m not saying I wish my life was like everything I watched – that’d probably be very dangerous and crazy, I’m saying some movies I fall in love with – make me wish my life could be like that. It allows me to escape this world and pretend for a little while that my life is just as happy or perfect (even though I know it can/will never be). It brings forth temporary good feelings of internal joy.

I’ve noticed that I’m mentioning good things about digitalization and technology. Well that’s because it makes me happy. Real life doesn’t – well sometimes it does, but if I add up the amount of times I’ve been happy because of what technology has brought to me vs. what my life has – technology wins. Yes it is obvious that technology rules my life but does that necessarily have to be a bad thing? It’s important to feel happy and feel good about yourself or else you’d just be miserable and then other people will notice and you’ll end up bringing them down and that’s not cool. But if you’re happy, you can bring happiness to others and brighten up the world a bit. Yes, it is weird how technology can have such an effect on me (or people in general) but honestly I’m not complaining if its helping me feel good.

There are bad things about technology but I don’t think those qualities affect me as much. People argue with technology kids aren’t getting out as much, not exercising enough, not seeing what’s really out there. Well I spend a lot of time outside, too. I play on many sports teams (and exercise in doing so) plus I meet a lot of new friends at almost every game. It brings me different places because I have to travel. It’s really not that bad. Technology can’t be an excuse for being lazy. That’s your choice. I know when enough is enough. I know when I need to get out or when I need to make a trip to the gym, meet up with friends, go out, have fun, party, etc. Yes technology rules my life but it’s not that serious. I won’t spend a day on my computer – it gets boring after half an hour. TV makes me feel lazy which is my reasons for turning it off and getting out. Today I had a double header in Brooklyn (a place I’ve never been before). It was so much fun, I got to travel, practice my softball skills, meet more new people (who make me happy), came back home and later got online. I can balance both. It’s not making me stay home. I’ve never said ‘Why go out when I can talk to people at home’. I like to make things more interesting by getting out. Making new memories. Technology doesn’t keep me in, it helps me plan to go out.


Comment to Andrew Cardinales:

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about social networking and how some may be too out there but some are exclusively for you and the person you're trying to contact. I think its a refreshing point of view to hear someone doesn't like to read about what other people might be doing or write about what they're doing. Now a days it seems like everyone cares and coming from someone who uses face-book a lot and knowing you're talking truth (because i never see you on), it means more.

I also agree with you about ipods and cellphones. I couldn't live without them (well I could - but it'd suck). I'd like to know what about music you find so intriguing though (I only know my own p.o.v on that topic so it would be interesting to hear about yours).

5 comments:

  1. I feel you when you speak. Especially about the ipod thing, i recently lost my Ipod touch, and I think I got really depressed. Seriously, I still feel a hole in my gut that something's missing. Everyday I get on the train I feel the pain. My ritual was to break out my Ipod and jam out, and Oh how it hurts not to maintain that anymore. But I thank GOD I have two i pods. One is my mothers and i borrow that every now and then. The other one only works when connected threw the Ihome . So i can realate with you and music.

    I find it so fascnating how i can just put my Itunes on or anyone else's and find a song to reminisce to. Or sometimes a collection of music to listen to, it sets my mood. Music is like my zen. With out having to go threw alot of hassle I can flow with a lil pep in my step and a boost of confadience.All from listing to my music. I love when i have good music back to back, and its just on shuffule. GOD THATS THE BEST!! unlike changing CD's there is not a worry in the world, or a care in fact, but me and my music =D !

    And Music to me is art. Art is a expression of emotion. And I live life for its emotions, in my opinion, Art is a endless expression that is more then music, but music really defines me. Especial poets. Like Lupe Fiasco, i like deep thinkers and inavative minds, who know how to express it threw a track. Whether it be a beat the lyrics, a hook, or an artist i like on a track collaborates with another artist. I mean things like this "boost mine."(make me feel good)I feel music has alot to say, so im just a ponderer who likes to listen. To music that is. If your turly curious ask me for a list of artist i listen to, and I'll tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your honesty, it was amazing.

    I like how you started off saying that you have digital rituals. Right from the start no bs getting to the nitty gritty. You're saying alot about how you're connected to the digital things that are in your life.

    I connect alot to what you said about your ipod. I am the exact say way. I feel like I can put on a song and just tune out the world and many days my ipod is a much needed asset. In a way I think it make you smarter, why listen to mindless chatter on the train about last night Gossip Girl when you can plug in and tune out, analyze some lyrics.

    I like the point you made about the digital things in your life taking you to a place of fiction and fantasy. Do you think that that is a good thing? Do you think that this could make most other teens "dumb"? Whats re the pros/cons?

    I wonder how/when/or if we even realize when we have been taken over by the digital plastic in our lives. Is it good or bad? ... i'd like to know.

    This was amazing, I enjoyed it all. The best post i've read all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha, I enjoyed reading your blog a lot. You have a very casual tone in the way that you write. As I read your blog I felt as though it was like any other conversation that we have. I understand that you don’t view technology as a good or bad thing, much like myself. It seems like you only view 3 things that potentially consume your world. My favorite part of your blog is how you feel tied down by technology, yet music is what fuels you as well.
    Your argument about music is extremely relatable to many people in the world. I agree that people do tend to dictate the music they play by the moods they are in; and that’s why during every train ride you may feel the need to play your ipod. As for myself I tend to zone out on the train and music helps make that possible.
    There is not much that I would tell you to change about your arguments. I fell they are very strong and help support your argument. I did notice you lacked transitions in the begging of the post of did use them later on. I would like to recommend though that in future blogs you should use transitions into new ideas and get a better opening sentence.
    When I first thought of doing this HW assignment I didn’t consider all the different view people could take it. From the discussions in class and reading your post I realized I need to take my view into a smaller account. I approached this topic too broad, reading your blog has made me consider just how much I depend on technology. I too value all my electronics, it might be in a different way but I do. Overall knowing you on a personal level I feel like you truly believe in your arguments. Reading your blog was a pleasure and I look forward to seeing what other new interesting ideas you have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacara, I’d like to thank you for the thought you put into my comment. I know you commented me with thought and not just half assed it because it was something you had to do. I really appreciated you even taking the time to comment me back (since I’m not in your class – and the assignment was for people in your class). I also want to thank you for your ending sentence. I don’t know if you meant it or not (actually I don’t want to believe you didn’t mean it) but it was nice to hear.

    When you wrote how you agreed with me about music and your ipod, and if I thought music taking me to a fiction fantasy world, it made me reconsider what people use their music to do. It helped me to better understand my thoughts by adding on more. Also when you wrote if I thought this could make other teens dumb, pros/cons, etc – it kept me thinking about what music does to me and what it can do to others and the different ways we think while listening to music.

    Your comment made me think about the following (also posted in original post in italics).

    “I also agree with Jacara. Sometimes I even like to analyze lyrics from songs and find new meanings -deeper ones, or even play out a whole situation in my mind that the song could go perfectly with. I don't know why I do this but I’m very accustomed to doing so for a lot of songs - even if it’s pretend situations that I make myself in. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that I daydream and go into my little fantasy world. If anything it kind of makes me starter - when I make up the situations in my head for the song, I think of perfect ways to react to them and handle them – exactly what I’d say or do to leave a big impression. The situations I think of are probably a bit more problematic and don't have anything to do with thinking about being popular/being a great dance, etc. Does it make teens dumb? I guess it’s the way you use your fantasies. A ‘not so good’ way (to me) would be if you’re just thinking about being 'the coolest kid' and having everyone like you or doing this cool dance in a club to the song than while listening to it. But I think a better way to think if you’re zoning out to music would be if you use it in a variety of ways to keep you thinking.”

    And also

    “I actually have mixed feelings about the way digitalization affects us. Yes, it helps me to be more social, but it downgrades my social skills. I have to deal with people face to face one day so hiding from people and both of our emotions isn’t going to help. Later on, when it’ll matter the most, I won’t be able to handle a situation because I won’t be used to it. I have no real social practice with the way technology allows me to abuse it.”

    You and I both seem to be focusing on the good that comes from digitalization, like how it can be a better alternative (rather than listening to people’s meaningless conversions – plug in your headphones and listen to your I-pod instead). We should probably start looking at the bad things digitalization has affected us even if we don’t necessarily think it has affected us in a bad way. Maybe looking at all the different aspects and arguing them might help us to deepen our own understandings of why we feel so strongly about the way we do.

    I think we both can safely agree that we’re interested in the effects that can come from being around digitalization – is it good or bad for you, does it make you dumber etc. I attempted to answer the questions in my response to your comment and I hope it helps – if you have more clarifying questions- let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, I appreciate you taking time out to think about a comment for my blog. I know this isn’t easy for you (thinking of what to say to people). I’m glad my blog is easier to read and that it made you feel as though it were any of our conversations. I’m sorry my opening sentence wasn’t so pleasing to you – I’ll try and get it right next time. And I hope I’ll be able to make my post flow better so that you can get some real enjoyment out of it/understand it better.

    Because we live in the same house and you were next to me as I read your comment – I was able to ask you questions on what exactly you meant and you told me how I wasn’t too clear about explaining my thinking process in the train. How when I was editing my writing, I was implying that I sometimes think of ‘being cool’ when listening to my music or situations like that. I was able to go back and revise it and say specifically the types of things my music provokes me to think about and made it clearer for you to understand. So I found it helpful to know where I needed some revising. People usually just tell you what to add on rather than what to revise. Much appreciated.

    Your comment made me realize I didn’t have a strong main idea. I had small ideas that I did a bad job transitioning them from one to the next. I know that transitioning is very important for you to understand work clearer so I went back and made some minor adjustments (minor). In my next post, I will try to keep an extra eye out for my transitioning statements/ideas. Question – what if I want to include something that’s totally off topic? That ok? Or no?

    I noticed that your main focus was how digitalization isn’t such a bad thing where mine was more focused (or so I think) into why I appreciate it more. You went from not understanding the way older generations don’t understand our use of technology to agreeing on how much digitalization is a part of your life to how all this time being digitalized may be helpful in the future and briefly specified one way computers helped you. I think I focused more on like different aspects and explained reasoning.

    I think we both noticed and wrote about how digitalization isn’t a good thing or bad one. We also both focused mainly on the good that comes from technology rather than the bad. I’m suggesting we take a step out of our comfort zone and wear the shoes of someone who disagrees with us. Try and see where they are coming from – what bad really can come from digitalization, etc.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete