Sunday, September 27, 2009
HW 6 - Video Project
I honestly think I look like a fucking retard. I can’t help but think how weird it looks to be watching myself. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. Very out of place. Like other people are watching me watching me. I don’t like the way I look at all or what I’m doing or how my facial expressions are. I’m critiquing myself in every aspect. I don’t like it.
If this is a large part of what my living physical experience is then I don’t feel too good about that. It’s weird because watching me and how I act with these digital representation devices looks so out of the ordinary to me but actually doing them feels completely different. I love the feeling when I’m using them and not watching myself do so, I dislike the strange feeling I get when I’m watching myself. I wonder if when people watch me interact with technology, they think I look that stupid and weird. I wonder what kind of feelings they feel when watching me. This being a big part of what I do seems like a very big waste of my life.
Honestly I know that I don’t want them to spend a lot of time doing this but the truth is I know they will. To see them always on these devices, I feel like our generation is going to tell future generations how much we regret not doing so many physical activities and how we too were like them 24/7 on their devices but they’re going to look at us like ‘whatever’. I wonder if our generation is going to grow out of this technological stage or are we going to be addicted to our phones, computers, TV’s, iPods’, etc till we’re in our death bed. That’ll look pretty weird. To die old in your death bed with your iPod on.
I think what’s happening on the digital devices – like exactly what is going through our minds is more along the lines of satisfaction/ enjoyment. But this is not the way it seems when we watch ourselves doing so. While watching myself, it looks like I’m bored and I’m looking for stuff to do constantly.
I have no real opinion about the wii I guess until I see someone spending their time on it. I’ve seen people up close playing the wii and even played so myself and to me it seems more interesting and I think although all these digital devices are so addicting, time-consuming, and an escape – the wii might be some sort of better alternative. Like if we had to choose a digital device, the wii would be the best pick. Because although you’re fully ‘into’ these video games, you’re still being active – which is better than not being active at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Sam,
ReplyDeleteI actually really enjoyed your video because I think you organized it in a thoughtful and organized way. I like how you incorporated all of your uses of technology, and how it transitioned flawlessly. I also like the music you were listening to in the background, and how you shown yourself just lying there listening to music.
One of the main points that you wrote about was how out of place you felt watching yourself on video. I felt the same way when watching my video, and automatically connected what you said to what I wrote in my post. One of my favorite quotes in your post was “I love the feeling when I’m using them and not watching myself do so, I dislike the strange feeling I get when I’m watching myself.” I liked this quote because I feel that it states how most people feel when using technology versus watching themselves using technology. I feel that you summed up that point excellently with that one statement.
Another quote I thought was interesting in your post was “I think what’s happening on the digital devices – like exactly what is going through our minds is more along the lines of satisfaction/ enjoyment. But this is not the way it seems when we watch ourselves doing so.” This line made me think about what you said, and how it’s true. We have so much fun using digital devices but when watching ourselves using these devices, we look nothing but bored and zoned out. Maybe you can ask some people who watch your video how they are reacting, or how they think you look? I know you posted something like that in your post, but maybe you might want people to have that focus when watching your video? It’s just a suggestion, but it goes along with what you are saying, that is what I brought it up.
Your post helps me realize that we don’t need technology to have fun; we can make our own fun. Watching your video made me realize that almost everyone’s videos is the same, we all have that zoned out staring into space look on our faces.
I really enjoyed reading your post, and thought it brought up a lot of intellectual points. I can’t wait to read more of your posts.
-Rachel
btw do you know Amanda's blog link? i forgot my notebook at school .
ReplyDeleteI loved the music I haeard throuour the video if anything. Kings of Leon is a kick ass band.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that throughout the video you looked preoccupied, like you weren't completely in to what you were doing. Like you didn't care one way or the other. I noticed that you mentioed that. Why is it weird to see yourself? Do you think you would feel differently if you were doing something else besides being digital?
I think that we all are in a way much more aware of ourselves when we know that we are being watched. I feel that it drastically alters the way that we act/look. I think that if you didn't know that you were being watched the outcome of the video would have been different.
I noticed that you mentioned that you said you looked like you were looking for something else to do all the time. I think that was an important observation that you umade about yourself. It connects to what I was saying about acting differently because you are being watched, do you think that has an impact?
I think that I looked a bit bored in my video as well, it was a weird assignment and while filming I was a bit distracted.
Sam, awesome post as always looking forward to more.
Sam,
ReplyDeleteI just want to let you know that your video was awesome. The music was the best and you are my new favorite person for watching Spongebob. I also thought that you brought up a lot of interesting topics.
You stated that you didn't want your children using digital representation devices but you knew that they would anyway. You also stated that we would explain to them our regrets but they wouldn’t care. This made me laugh because it reminded me of my mom when she tells me "oh i was a kid too" Whenever she tells me that, I have the same reaction you said your kids would have. I'm pretty sure that the next generation will out grow the technology stage. Technology is constantly growing and has definitely not reached its limits. if anything, I believe that the next generation will be more in depth with technology and be controlled by it more.
Later on, you also stated that you seemed to be bored while looking for something else to do. This made me wonder if our digital life has become more of a requirement than a recreational activity. It seems as if using digital representation devices a been programmed into our lives. Its like we crave to do other things and are getting bored with the same digital activities but we are enslaved by that part of our life.
Your first paragraph say that you don’t like how you look in the video. This kind of made me think about my video. Normally, I lose myself in the digital world completely and totally but since i knew that I was being recorded, I sort of blocked that from happening. I think that sort of shows how I'm somewhat ashamed of how lost I can get in the digital world. Do you think that while being recoreded you became fully embodied, or did you compose yourself because you were being recorded?
Well, I really enjoyed your video and reflection and you really had me wondering. Hope to hear from you soon.
-Amanda :)
Sam,
ReplyDeleteGreat posts - excellent work.
The first line in this post is neon and a strong image, but perhaps offensive and not really super for an official post for a class. Please edit/censor it.