HW Comment for Jacara:
While reading your post, I pictured you saying it (as if you were telling me instead of me reading it). I love how you write exactly how you talk. It made the read that much more enjoyable. From the very beginning, you had me wanting more. Also, the metaphor you used in your first paragraph, ‘straddling the fence’, was refreshing to hear.
I agree with your first and second paragraphs. Talking to a screen is much easier to talk to than face to face and I much rather prefer texting over phone calls. You can get straight to the point and it doesn’t seem rude whereas if you’re on the phone and you start off with the question – the person you’re asking the question to probably won’t appreciate the call. The two sentences about re-reading the book A Clockwork Orange, were very random. I’m not too sure why you mentioned it.
In your third paragraph about the VMA’s and twitter, I thought you used a great example but I want to know why you think people feel the need to even ‘tweet?’ about such things. Do they just want to be listened to, are they doing it to fit in (building some kind of image), etc.
In your fourth paragraph, you mentioned how you think we are really connected to computers, your evidence being that we do our hw on this website. I want to argue that this is based merely on a matter of convenience. Think about it, if we weren’t using the internet for our homework – we probably wouldn’t learn much from it. If we handed in our homework, we wouldn’t be able to read each others and be able to develop better ideas. We would have just done the homework and that would have been that. With blogger, I’m able to read all my classmates work and even people from other classes. I can think deeper about what it is we’re talking about.
I thought your last paragraph was the best. I’ve read quite a number of blogs contemplating whose is interesting enough to comment on and whose blog do I have the most to say about, and none of them had the argument of auto tuning artists voices. Very interesting perspective. It’s true how artists don’t even have to be talented anymore – they can just have their voice tuned with technology.
I agree with Andy, I think you should expand more about why you think we’re so afraid of going backwards- we go forwards. Why wouldn’t we just stay with the present? What would cause us to actually move backwards?
I don’t think we’d move backwards- probably just stay the same. If we already have all this technology how could we lose it?
Anyways, I really love the way you write. Your use of metaphors. The language you use – I feel is very appropriate for this topic. Your tone of a strong opinion. I look forward to reading further updates. Adiosss!
Non- Hw Comment #2 for Jacara:
I love the different aspects you think about technology. I read all your other posts including your comments to others and it made me think about some questions you might think its worht to answer.
Why do you generate thoughts better with your ipod on? What is it about the music that helps keep you thinking and keeps you tuned in. Or does your music sometimes distract you when working- if it does, does that even matter to you?
Why DO people feel the need to keep wanting and wanting 'newer' and 'better' versions of what they already have if it really is the same thing with minor adjustments? What's so good about having the latest technology? Is it a need to fit in or a desire to experience more with what you already have?
Do people get digital things JUST BECAUSE? I personally don't know anyone that bought a ipod or cellphone just cause. Or if I did, they soon got sucked in to the digital world and and became obsessed as did we all when we first had it. Now we're just addicted.
OH by the way, I edited my original post and answered your questions from your comments. I figured reading the whole thing over again might be repetative so I put it in italics. Keep having this on your mind - I love reading your thought.
see you in school.
-SAMMMMM
Comment for Lauren:
I like how you use the computer to show how learning styles can differ and make it possibly more enjoyable.
I understand for the most part you side with the greatness that comes from technology learning etc). There are some points that are unclear though, like when you said how you’re always connected. Connected as in always having it near you or connected on a deeper level?
I completely agree with you on always having your cellphone, i-pod, and stuff before you walk out the door. But I’m trying to think specifically why we do this ritually? I mean I absolutely love my i-pod and cellphone but when did I make this an everyday habit to bring this stuff everywhere I go? What about it makes me believe I need it everywhere I go? Why is it such a burden when I forget my phone or ipod and not my keys or wallet?
You said you don't think technology is good nor bad but what are the bad things about technology? Cause from what I'm reading you only talk about the helpful things about the internet. And knowing you personally, what do you mean by you grew up on technology? Mom and dad always tried to get us off of it make us go outside or do homework. It was discouraged in our household especially after what happened with Michelle and her computer (with Jonathon Torres).
Also you mentioned how younger generations are like more familiar with all this technology. What exactly is it about technology that you think if younger generations spend more time on it - will bring us to 'new heights'?
Andrew commented on your blog and said that the future won’t be able to live without technology. I’d like to disagree. I don’t think it’s a necessity; it’s more of just a want or something you have to fit in.
I feel like you’ve only thought about the outlines of digitalization. I’d really like to hear some deeper thoughts on different aspects that digitalization affects us (for example when Henry in class mentioned how technology eats away our patience and affects our reality because we expect everything else to be that fast).
I sincerely love you and I know you tried to think about this topic hard. Dig deeper though, you have make a lot of good points when you successfully express your ideas clearly.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Okay, so I'm going to try and remember what I wrote in my comment..to myself responding to others. Basically not having the latest piece of technology makes you a member of the past.
ReplyDeleteThere are many forces against you, your peers, the television, subway billboards... So we fear having something that is out of date and therefore we mindlessly buy whatever is for sale.
But actually knowing this and thinking of this separates us from them. Lets focus on the ipod since we can both connect to a constant need to that. Actually thinking about the purpose of your ipod is important. Your ipod is there to bring you to a deeper state of thinking, i.e your fantasy world or the lyrics that get me though a bad day.
You know those people that get the ipod touch and then get the ipone just because? I know you have to know people like this :D. Basically those two devices are the same thing. So these people just but these things, just because. There is no real need to them.
I think that there is a difference between knowing why you're addicted to your ipod and just being addicted to your ipod. Do you agree? Think about it, I have a feeling that you know why you need your gadgets and whatnots. Do you have a list of things that you use vs. things that you have and don't use?
Thanks for talking with me, smarty-pants!
Looking forward to your next comments
I'm in love your blog, AND I know why. That makes me smart.
The reason why I love your blog is because I can tell that you actually think about the questions. I really like that these aren't mindless posts, they actually mean something. You give thought to the topics at hand and then some.
ReplyDelete